21 August 2007

Who am I?


Yesterday I was driving with my family to visit some friends. We were on our way and turned off one street to another. As I turned I saw a police officer sitting on his motorcycle, I quickly looked down and confirmed that I wasn't speeding. He gave me the signal to pull over. It was then I realized that I did not have my seat belt on. I normally wear mine, but this time it had slipped my mind. Of course I spend 5-10 minutes each time we go out strapping the two boys in, but neglected to do this for myself.

Well the office took my license and paperwork and then invited me out of the car to "talk things through". He told me he was going to give me a small fine to be a reminder. We talked a little about it and then talked about me being an American and what I like about Estonia and then some other small subjects. The problem came when he asked me my workplace. I had a moment there when I had to think about what I wanted to say. I had several legitimate options: Risttee, MTÜ Going UP, or Noortekeskus LIFT. I thought, if I say church, maybe I am doing a bad thing by admitting that Christians break the law or somehow embarrassing the faith. Maybe it seems extreme for you, but it was went through my mind. Well I answered, Risttee Church and he asked me what church it was, where is it located and I could share a little. I wish I had a card or something to give him, but I didn't. It all ended fine, I got my ticket and will pay that and now I have a little reminder to put my seat belt on before i start the car.

Have you ever been in that situation where your worried that something you have done, bight somehow hurt the gospel or Gods name? Be it big or small, you feel like you want to pretend your not a Christian, or associate with it to protect it from your mishap. I felt a connection with Peter, how he denied Christ. Of course the situations are different, but I am glad that like Peter, we get a chance to wake up the next day and change our life, big and small to become more like Christ.