25 April 2007

Heart for God vs. Heart for Ministry

There has been some thoughts rolling around in my head for a few weeks after a conversation with some different friends and aquaintences. I was struggling with some comments someone made about Risttee and the model for minsitry we have been part of creating and the amzing things God has been doing. I have been able to boil it down to a contrast of two things. Both are good and I believe both are necessary. However, one is essential for all Christians, the other I find is somewhat optional. Maybe optional isn't word, but I will try to explain why I feel this way.

It comes down to a Heart for God vs. Heart fo Ministry. Its my hope that everyone who is claims to be a Christian, has a heart for God. They are someone who is attends church, prays reads their bible. They are not a closet Christian, so their neighbors and friends know about their faith. They are people who volnteer at church, sing in the choir, and can even lead a youth group. Its not very difficult to find these people and we need churches full of people like this. Its my hope that I am one of these people, someone who loves God and is interested in seeing others love God. They desire to see peoples lives changed and most likely become like them and the other people whom have a Heart for God.

The person with a heart for minsitry has all of these things, but they are the person who is able to bring people along in their faith. They are more comfortable with what they believe and long for others to experience it as well, but the see people differently. The person with a heart for God can be a bit pushy, they really struggle with people who don't believe like they do and do not try to understand how others believe. A person with the heart for ministry is one who tries to understand where a person is at and where they are coming from and then tries to help in the process to get them closer to God. People who have a heart for God can sometimes come off very judgemental of other believers for not living up to certain expectations. A person who has a heart for ministry isn't afraid to confront sin or problems, but their goal isn't only correction but rather restoration.

The challenge for me when I think about this is what do I want to be said about me. Of these two options which on do I want? I hope my life is the heart for ministry, seeing the bigger picture, longing to be part of God building his kingdom, a tool in the hand of God. Which of these do you hope to be? I would love to know your thoughts! Share and help me to conitnue to sort this one out.