26 June 2007

Good Friend


Do you have any good friends in your life? Not the persons you spend the most time with, or the one you grew up with, or even someone who is family. I am talking about a friend who cries with you, the first to hug you when life sucks the wind out of your lungs, or the person who lifts your spirits in seconds with a simple compliment or moment of caring.

For me as a older guy I saw a friend of mine care for me in a way that really touched me. I have a friend that I don't get to spend much time with anymore. Life for both of us has moved passed our singles days when staying up all night and talking was a weekly occurrence. But we sometimes take time and proximity and use is as our only standard for love and care. Which in many cases is very true, but its not the only one.

Today I had to lay out some things to this friend of mine. I had to express many months of frustrations, angers, disappointments and sad moments. I had to open my soul and in my style which was very aggressive and attacking. This isn't an excuse, I am just explaining how it happened. Now, we locked horns, (this is a figure of speech for discussing or fighting like two deers or rams that lock their horns in their dispute.) But this process was 100% necessary, we both had to get things out in the open because with them under the surface they were slowly eroding the friendship, the caring relationship that is the most important thing.

For me, I could see in his eyes that he was feeling my pain, as my eyes started to fill with a little bit of tears, I could see the same in his eyes. He was actually identifying with my situation, we didn't agree on it, but we connected through our words and emotions and I am so thankful for this.

The resolution was one of mutual agreement to change and move forward. But now that conflict has finally taken place, resolution and restoration can take place. I love this process, but most importantly I love my friend. My list of things to change is longer than his, cause he is a much better man than I am, and my list with grow out of love and respect to not only do what I have to do, but motivated by wanting to be all that I can be in our relationship and the situation God has placed us in at this moment in time.

So I leave you with one idea, find this person and give them a big hug and tell them that you love them.