03 December 2007

Great Sermon

Today I was heading back from Tallinn and decided to pass the time by listening to a sermon. I had the privelage of listening to a 1:30 sermon\lecture about worship and idolatry from Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle. I haven't been listening to many different sermons but I was too tired to read anything. I really felt like this was a great talk and something that I encourage others to listen too. This is one of the first times I heard someone talk about the idea of worship in a way that was convicting. I was able to think through my life and see a few things that I need to change. I found the most helpful thing was the discussion on idolatry and how its the opposite of worship. I am not sure of what you worship in your life, but I believe in most of our lives its not God at all. We have all created different things in our life that resemble God or resemble Christianity, but if we follow these things through, we will realize that its not about God at all.

The final challenge of the talk was Who do we worship. The answer, was Jesus. This differentiates Christianity more than any other religion. The speaker shared so many challenging statements that I have to listen to the sermon a few more times.

If you have time, check out Mars Hill on Itunes and then download the special:Worship and be prepared to be challenged.