10 October 2007

Kids are cool!


Just down the street from our house is a small store. It is a discount food store, Säästu Market. We often walk down there to get stuff we need and also just to grab a snack or some ice cream with the boys. Oskar really likes this place and leads the way each time we go. We went down there Sunday night to get some milk, bananas and some bread. As you exit the store there is a small four sided bench. Each time we exit, Oskar runs over to this bench and sits down. He crawls up on the bench, swings his little legs around and just sits there. He doesn't do anything when he is there, just sits. A few times I have come out of the store with him when its just the two of us and he doesn't go home until he gets to sit for a few minutes. The reason he does this is because when he would walk to the store with Reena in the spring and summer, they would always sit there and just watch people and hang out before going home. Its funny that such a small little behavior that is started can become such a common and expected behavior.

This had got me to thinking about the other things Oskar and Alex are learning. What are the things the are picking up at home? What attitudes are the developing from watching Reena and I? I am a little scared to think about it. Maybe its a conversation that Reena and I are having and some comments are said that are particularly unflattering or negative towards someones work or their character. Oskar is just starting to talk, rather repeat things right now, and I know that sometimes there are things said at home that I wouldn't want him to repeat. What about how I treat Reena? Maybe my short attention span or inability to focus and listen? Maybe Oskar is learning that life is sitting and watching TV or being on the computer instead of talking, play games and enjoying relationships with others? This has become such a convicting moment for me and a clear siren has been played, now its game time, time to change and make my home the place God wants it to be.